Application Development System Architect
Westfield Gas + Electric/ Whip City Fiber is accepting applications for the position of Application Development System Architect. The successful candidate will possess knowledge of a broad spectrum of programming environments, languages, supporting software, computer system hardware, and network principles, and must be willing to expand their knowledge in each of these areas. All work must comply with established department design, development, deployment, and support standards.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in vendor collaboration, software planning, architecture and development, vendor software review and selection, system upgrade plans/scheduling in support of all aspects of utility operation.
- Assist with project management in support of time centric business- critical deadlines in collaboration with the Application Development Manager and other development team across the organization.
- Develop and follow application development and system management best practices, applied across the organization.
- Understand and adhere to Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) management principles and standards for the ongoing planning, creating, testing, deploying, and upgrading of all information systems solutions.
- Develop and maintain system documentation, including diagrams, standard operating procedures, design and testing specs, and work instructions for both existing, and newly proposed systems.
- Maintain job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques, and computing equipment; participate in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; participate in professional organizations.
Furthermore, the Application Development System Architect will;
- Develop comprehensive system maintenance plans, incorporating the highest levels of automation and proactive reporting wherever possible. Responsibilities include:
-Database backup management
-Database and log file monitoring and maintenance
-Database table maintenance to maintain maximum efficiency
-Database user and permission administration
-Database maintenance plan development and monitoring
-Database, table and relationship creation
-File server data management
-System and database migration
-Application and file server/database interaction management
-System upgrade architecture, planning and implementation
- Proactively propose more cost effective and efficient data analysis and reporting mechanisms where appropriate, enhancing their organizational performance.
- Assist with software development supporting Network Administration and Fiber Administration Architects searching out new business and fiber optic solutions opportunities throughout the region.
- Act as a point of contact for newly acquired business opportunities and act as software trouble escalation representative.
- Participate in projects with development staff in the implementation, installation, configuration, and support of upgraded/new software solutions.
- Participate in, and sometimes coordinate projects with other departments and external organizations.
- Explore new and innovative software technologies which will yield best in class results for current and future growth.
- Interact with the business stakeholders and subject matter experts in order to understand their problems and needs.
- Document the functional, and sometimes, technical design of the system.
QUALIFICATIONS AND ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Business Information Systems, Software Engineering, or equivalent.
- Software development design, coding and support experience.
- Experience in purchasing software related products, tools and services.
- Experience in utilities (Natural Gas, Electric and Fiber Optic) related support and reporting is a plus.
- Information Technology Business Services experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of common engineering design principles and methodologies with ability to read and understand engineering specifications and documentation.
- Ability to work concurrently on multiple tasks with aggressive schedules.
- Excellent technical problem solver.
- Proficiency in long term development and presentations.
- Excellent negotiating skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent financial planning and budgeting skills.
A very generous benefit package accompanies job offer, although relocation services are not provided. Candidates are requested to complete an application found online. Applications will be accepted through Friday, September 24, 2021.
Please, no phone calls.