Utility Engineer - Electric
Westfield Gas and Electric (WG+E) and Whip City Fiber (WCF) are seeking an enthusiastic, detail oriented, motivated individual who can demonstrate a proficient understanding of electric distribution and regulations.
Attention to detail, ability to make immediate decisions, problem solving skills, follow through in a variety of situations and proficiency in Autodesk AutoCAD and Esri ArcGIS. Working with our internal team, as well as outside vendors requires solid communication skills.
The successful candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Excellent verbal, written, and social skills.
- Proven ability to quickly learn new systems.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Hard working with a problem-solving attitude.
- You must be enthusiastic, motivated, and willing to learn.
Major duties and responsibilities include:
- Creates plans, orders, layouts, and cost estimates for all additions and changes to the distribution systems.
- Reviews the requirements for service with customers and prepares internal memoranda outlining the customer’s agreement of project scope; determines most economic method of completing the work.
- Prepares complete job orders for all operational work from beginning to end, including proposals, estimates, quotes, work orders, material requisitions, balance project invoicing, and reporting.
- Checks service installations for conformance with company, municipal, state and federal requirements.
- Performs technical calculations as required for load balancing, proper equipment sizing, adequate plant construction, etc., in conformance with company standards.
- Prepares field notes and makes inspections as necessary; makes sketches, drawings, maps, and prepares various forms and records relative to the work, both handwritten and computer generated.
- Investigates customer complaints and recommends corrective measures.
- Contacts and works cooperatively with customers, contractors, representatives of other departments and utilities, as well as civic officials, in conjunction with the work.
- Follows up on work done by field crews as assigned and reports any unusual conditions to supervisor.
- Updates and modifies the Department’s Operating and Maintenance Procedures as directed.
- Prepares regulatory and compliance related requests and reports.
- Assists other personnel with system analyses, engineering studies, and development of operational programs as assigned, utilizing department programs and software.
- Performs other technical and related clerical duties as assigned.
- Provides meter, equipment, and service locations to customers.
- Inputs utility distribution information into the Department’s mapping and general database systems.
- Prepares switching orders.
Required Qualifications, Skills/Abilities and Knowledge:
- Ability to compile and record computer-based data associated with distribution records.
- Demonstrated experience and command of Microsoft Office products.
- Demonstrated experience and command of database systems.
- Demonstrated experience and command of ArcGIS and AutoCAD.
- Demonstrated experience in utility engineering analysis software.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical engineering, or ability to obtain within one year, or combination of formal schooling, technical training, and/or equivalent job experience.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit an application found online and attach any other relevant documents. Please, no phone calls.