Gas SafetyWhile natural gas has an excellent safety record, it’s important to take precautions and recognize gas leak warning signs in order to avoid hazardous conditions like fire, explosion, or asphyxiation.
Recognize a leak by:
- Smell: The natural gas odor is similar to rotten eggs
- Sound: May sound like high-pressure roaring, hissing, or whistling
- Sight: A white cloud, mist, fog, blowing dust, or bubbles in standing water
What to do if you suspect a leak:
- Move to a safe location immediately and then call Westfield Gas + Electric at 413-572-0000.
- Do not smoke, light candles, use phones, or operate electrical switches or appliances. Doing so may result in a spark, igniting the gas and causing an explosion.
- Do not assume someone else will report the leak.